Today on the way to our Bean Lake cabin we observed in excess of 50 Bald
Eagles in the area just north of Pat's Steak House and south of Sugar Lake,
along the west side of Hwy. 45/273, in Platte county. (25 mi. south of St.
Joseph on 59 hwy...12 mi. north of Weston on Hwy. 45/273)
This has always been a shallow, marshy pond area but with the dry weather
conditions, the water had shrunk to an approx. 15 by 30' area. I presume
whatever fish were in this 'pond' moved into the deepest water as the area
dried up. We had observed probably 30 B.eagles in this same spot about 4
weeks ago, then the 'pond' completely disapeared..either dried up or froze,
and in trips since then we did not see any eagles until today and this was
almost surreal to see so many in such a small area.  30 to 40  around this
small 'puddle'...15-20 more in surrounding trees. Evidently the little  bit
of rain/snow  we've had in the past week revived this 'puddle', but I
cannot believe any fish could still be there...but then I do not have an
eagle eye, so who knows what they see that we do not!  Certainly was an
interesting sight!

Frances Cramer
St. Joseph, MO. Buchanan Co.
Bean Lake cabin. Platte Co.