In a message dated 2/19/03 3:02:06 AM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask] writes:

couldn't agree more. It is definitely NOT a poem ABOUT perception, or only
incidentally so. It IS a set of perceptions. The perceptions are to be
experienced, not merely understood. If Eliot had wanted in this
instance to be understood, he would have written an essay. He was
creating an experience, parts of which are, I am sure, reducible
to concepts, or cannot work without conceptual contexts, but they
are parts, not the whole. Meet Mr. sweeney. He has an apeneck, &c, &c &c.
Some things give me the impression he might be related to Wyndham
Lewis' Tyro. He's a bit of a mystery. He has a lot of seaweed from the
past draped all over him. Who of us has ever understood anyone?
Still, that doesn't mean you shouldn't get to know him a bit better.

So, are you saying that you disagree with my interpretation of the poem?