There is a division of the Mennonite church that is sometimes called Russian Mennonite becuase they immigrated to then Prussia, which is about where Lithuania is;  They kept their language and culture; most were eventually forced out by the Russian peasantry who greatly resented being displaced by these Germans, and also resented the preferential treatment the German settlers were given by Catherine (She had sought wealthier farmers in order to increase her tax-base, I think).  I can easily hear one of these Russian Mennonites saying they are "pure German."  In fact, I have heard them say that :).  There are now German-speaking Mennonites all over the US and Canada, but they typically live in rural areas in proximity to each other (sizeable groups in Kansas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, South Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, and Alberta).

Justin

-------Original Message-------

Date: Monday, February 10, 2003 11:38:31 AM
Subject: Re: Hofgarten and the hyacinth garden

In a message dated 2/9/2003 11:36:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Sounds like something my mother would have said:
"I'm not Montanan or American at all. I'm from
  Alsace, pure German."
Doesn't "echt deutsch" sound racist?
The Bavarians were particularly conscious of being pure breds.

The Russians I have met would not want their language to be at all associated with the German language or the German people. They consider German as very bourgeoisie and unpleasant sounding, to boot.  Not that the Russian language is music to the ear, not like French or Spanish, which are very pretty sounding, easy on the eardrums, too.  I wonder if English is a pretty language to hear . . ..