From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.
Date: Monday, February 10, 2003 11:38:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hofgarten and the hyacinth garden

In a message dated 2/9/2003 11:36:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Sounds like something my mother would have said:
"I'm not Montanan or American at all. I'm from
  Alsace, pure German."
Doesn't "echt deutsch" sound racist?
The Bavarians were particularly conscious of being pure breds.

The Russians I have met would not want their language to be at all
associated with the German language or the German people. They consider
German as very bourgeoisie and unpleasant sounding, to boot.  Not that the
Russian language is music to the ear, not like French or Spanish, which are
very pretty sounding, easy on the eardrums, too.  I wonder if English is a
pretty language to hear . . ..