From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: Orwell on Eliot

> I'd sent out a query on this some years ago (in vain), but there are so
many new listers now it may be worth trying again.

> I recall reading, many years ago, an essay by George Orwell attacking
Eliot for having declined from vibrant, living language into abstract
obscurantism.  (I believe the essay was written after some, but not all, of
Four Quartets had been published, but I may be wrong about that.)  I recall
in particluar a line about Eliot's use of opposites ("what you know is what
you do not know", etc.") having degenerated from fresh and new into
something of "a parlor trick."

> At the time, I was just getting into Eliot's later poetry and remember
having a fair degree of sympathy with Orwell's view (though even then I
thought it overstated.)  Having come to appreciate the post-conversion work
more, I would like to read the essay again and see what I think of it.

> I've tried to locate it on line with some fairly extensive googling, and
most of what I get is Orwell on Eliot on Kipling, or references to Eliot's
decision not to publish "Animal Farm."  Does anyone else recall the essay I
am referring to, or know where it might be located (preferably on-line)?