From: Peter Montgomery

> Was he not still under much stress about Viv at
> the tme of those lectures?

He was.
Some memories are now coming back In ASG, Eliot suggested that Lawrence was
mentally disturbed - I don't have the text with me, but I recall a passage
which ran something like:
'The tendency of Lawrence's better-bred female characters to bestow their
favours on plebeians or savages is the product of a sick imagination' (he
obviously had Lady Chatterley in mind).
When he was asked to take part in the effort to end the Chatterley ban in
the early sixties, Eliot said that his own earlier remarks on Lawrence were
written when he himself was mentally disturbed, i.e. suffering from the
stress of his separation.

Yours,

RaphaŽl