From: Peter Montgomery

> Perhaps not intellectually, but he did much to popularise
> the emptional preoccupations that concerned Freud, not
> the least of which was Oedipal.

On that basis, one could also argue that Eliot himself did something to
popularise aspects of Freud through lines like:

'The thousand sordid images
Of which your soul was constituted'

'Whispering lunar incantations
Dissolve the floors of memory,
And all its clear relations,
Its divisions and precisions'

In introductions to modernist literature, Freud and psychoanalysis are still
routinely mentioned as part of the general background. I'm not saying it's
wrong - I do it myself. But once you start looking at how the
English-speaking modernists actually engaged with Freud, you quickly realise
that most of them were hostile to Freudian psychoanalysis.

Yours,

RaphaŽl