From: INGELBIEN RAPHAEL [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 11:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: T.S.Eliot and D.H.Lawrence

> I recall reading that Eliot later said that, when he pronounced Lawrence
"mentally disturbed" (or something to that effect), he was himself mentally
disturbed.  Can anyone confirm or source that?

That's what I meant when I said he regretted his comments in After Strange
Gods. I can't remember where he expressed remorse about Lawrence in
particular, but I think it was at the time of the Lady Chatterley trial,
when various eminent writers argued that the ban should be lifted. This was
in 1963, a date that Philip Larkin has turned into mythology.

Yours,

RaphaŽl