In a message dated 2/11/2003 4:06:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> The person is a recently and repeatedly conquered
> Lithuanian, verifying his or her sympathies with
> the most recent occupying army--German--either as
> a response to a direct question from some
> German soldier or German sympathizer, or as an overt
> show of such sympathies to keep him/herself from
> becoming a suspected "Russian ally" in the face of
> German occupation: "Am absolutely not Russian,
> come from Lithuania, an ideal/genuine/ loyal
> German [citizen]"
> . . .
> Part of what the passage signals for me regardless
> of the actual explanation is
> it mirrors or mimics the sense of
> identity confusions national/ethnic/political

Very interesting post, Greg.

I'm intrigued by the notion that the line might be said in response to trying to "fit in" or avoid raising suspicion with German occupiers. This implies that the speaker might be hiding something and is fearful of the consequences if the truth were known. It might play off of the earlier line of TWL "We walked . . . in sunlight . . . into the Hofgarten", which implies to me an openness and lack of fear.

And not to belabor the point, but to your list of "identity confusions", you might want to consider "sexual".

-- Steve --