From: Carrol Cox

> James did join the warhawks in 1914 though, taking out British
> citizenship to protest America's failure to enter the insane bloodbath.

1914? James became a British citizen in 1915. His reaction in 1914 wasn't
exactly that of a hawk. While others blessed God who matched them with that
glorious hour, James wrote to a friend  that the outbreak of war was a
dreadful betrayal: (quoting from memory) 'the thought that this is what all
the hopes and ideals of the last few decades were all leading up to is too
tragic for words.' By the way, he virtually stopped writing once the guns
started.

> Does anyone else on this list share my delight in _The Sacred Fount_?

Much as I enjoy the supersubtle James, I thought that novel was oversubtle.

Yours,

RaphaŽl