In a message dated 2/22/03 6:02:15 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> A German soldier: …in the drumfire bravery
> no longer exists: only nerves, nerves, nerves.
> When anyone is exposed unto such trials and
> tribulations he is no longer of any use
> as an attacker or defender…

   Carrol: These and the other fragments that you sent in are powerful quotes
that remind us all of the realities of war.

  To bring this back to Eliot: Your last quote had the phrase "nerves,
nerves, nerves", which certainly reminds me of the nervous woman in "A Game
of Chess" ("My nerves are bad tonight"). Nancy has pointed out the WW1
references in TWL, including the solders (Stetson and Lil's husband), and we
know Lil's husband appears in "A Game of Chess".

Carrol, Nancy, and all:  Do you think that, in part, TSE was trying to
contrast a person made "nervous" while coping with everyday life compared to
a WW1 soldier made "nervous" by the insanities of war? I hadn't considered
such a comparison before, but maybe the reader is being invited to compare
the Cleopatra woman's "nerves" to a WW1 soldier's "nerves".

-- Steve --