But wait . . . your two scenarios for Eliot's view both involve Israel getting nuked.  Pat was a vigorous proponent of the view that Eliot was PHILO-semitic.  How does that square?

Eliot didn't make the Seven Day war, but obviously made it well past the Sinai crisis.  I join you in asking if anyone knows whether he made any recorded comment on the British Mandate, founding of Israel, Sinai, etc.

Tom K