I've got some friends who I know cheated in H.S. and college, who may well have been among the federal prosecutors who put your buddy in prison.  My point isn't to defend cheating -- I am sure these fellows would be the first to admit that they were wrong to cheat way back when -- but the suggestion that it's a prelude to a life of crime makes "Reefer Madness" seem like understated argument.

Tom K