In a message dated 2/19/2003 11:02:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> In any case, I think SOME lyrics by MacDiarmid and SOME poems by
> Marianne Moore are far more brilliant than SOME poems by Stevens,
> Eliot, et. al.  No one is uniformly just "great."

As to your sentiments on Moore and MacDiarmid, you must be joking.  As to
your belief that no one is uniformly great, I disagree.  Stevens is uniformly
brilliant, amazing in light of the amount of poetry he wrote.  That you do
not recognize his brilliance is too bad for you, but it hardly matters in the
scheme of things.  You asked me to explain to you why I hold this opinion of
Stevens. I cannot answer you in a sentence or two.  And I can never answer
you completely even when I do have the time, for if you do not feel what I
feel . . . .  However, you must realize that I am but one of many persons
into the study of poetry who hold this position on Stevens.
By the way, I would also say that Eliot is uniformly good.