Firstly, is that "L M" or "i m", because I'm Hadden would be really funny
with respect to the Novel / Movie _Contact_  :)

Now, for the Eliot.  The "notes" were available in 1923 (?) with the first
non-magazine publication of _The Waste Land_.  Eliot was always tainted by
poor scholarship, unless you count Poems 1920 which, although important were
a lot like Nirvana's _Bleach_ album before _Nevermind_, filled with some
choice meat but certainly not the main course.  In this way Eliot is really
the first 20th century poet, living in a world of commentary and second
guessing.

Michael (scroll down for a completely OT commentary -- feel free to avoid)

So the three things that ruined the 20th century and American (and
Metastically, Western Culture) are as follows (with explanations, too):

Welfare, the Pill, and Supply-Side Economics.

Welfare:  In the 30s, people went to work, the government paid them enough to
live on. Since "the great society," people pretend to want to work and the
government pretends to give them enough to live on, thereby giving us 2 whole
generations now who are a: generally dipshits and b: have a grandiose sense
of entitlement [poor educational theories have also given them abnormally
high self-esteems and no sense of arithmatic or grammar].

the Pill: when you remove the fear, awe, and reverence of procreation from
the equation, sex becomes a complete power play and it is hard to find
someone with whom you can truely become one flesh -- it all becomes about
pleasure and immediate gratification -- we become permanently 15 [now, I know
that it put power in the hands of women, that's all good, but you don't
topple one power structure only to put another in its place].  Also, the
health effects are insane!  Did you know it ages your uterus 5 years every
year you're on it?  You've got to count in pill years!  "Well, I'm 32 but
I've got the uterus of a 65-year-old -- how screwed up is that?

Supply-Side Economics [I don't bat for either political team]:  The essence
of SSE is that if you build it, they will come [ha! didn't think that was a
Reagan movie did you?].  What it has given us is complety tawdry unscripted
farce in "entertainment," "news," fast "food," and cars.  Who in the hell
needs an SUV except maybe Rick Parker and my friend who drives through swamps
on a daily basis?  Why do millions of us watch _Survivor_ and _Joe
Millionaire_ or glue ourselves to every dipshit word uttered by Drs. Phil or
Laura or Howard Stern?  What in the hell are Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw
thinking?  Don't they know that Kim Jong Whomever is in charge of the
Communist Party in Korea is poised to nuke the shit out of the Left Coast?
Have you seen what goes into fast food?  Did you know that there was Grade F
meat?
What all this boils down to is that If you give the rats cocaine, they'll
starve before they pick cheese over blow -- our culture is heading to the
floodgates fast and we'd better start building that ark out of whatever good
we have left in us before we're up to our asses in floodwaters wondering why
in the hell God hasn't sent that helicopter yet.

Whoo.  That was fun.