Francis Gavin wrote:

 It evokes the several pages describing the life of the maritime
> insurance man in Lord Jim or the thoroughly unpleasant hotel in Victory.

I did all my reading of Conrad in the '50s -- and had completely
forgotten how powerful I thought that particular novel was. I can't
remember it at all now. I'll have to dig my copy out and at least browse
in it enough to bring back the sense of that hotel.

As I think I've said before, Gerontion remains for me the most powerful
of all of Eliot's poems. Perhaps because line after line in it seems to
have some of the same hard clarity I find in Pound.

Carrol