In a message dated 2/17/03 10:57:12 AM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I also think "Sweeney Among the Nightingales"
> is one of Eliot's most enigmatic and strange poems.
> I wonder what members of the list so think
> about it.
>
> Nancy

I agree.

I first read the poem over 20 years ago and have since re-read it many, many
times. I have also discussed the poem with list members, looked at critical
material, and have read an unpublished analysis of it (from a list member).

Even after all that, I simply do not feel I have a basic understanding of
what TSE is trying to convey. Given that TSE had written to his brother that
this poem was one of the best poems he had ever done, I'm left feeling
totally lost.

-- Steve --