In a message dated 2/17/03 12:18:22 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> As a (transplanted) native of the
> Baltimore-Washington, D.C. metropolitan area,
> I'd be glad to read the personal observations
> of anyone in the midst of this remarkable
> snow storm.  I am, of course, following it
> online and  television.
>
>  Cheers,
>  Dorothy

I live near Philadelphia.

AAAHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHOOOWWWWWWWHHHELPMMMMMOMMY!!!

Since Sunday morning, about two feet of snow has fallen. I don't have a
snowblower (STUPID, STUPID, STUPID), so I was outside about every three hours
(including throughout the night) keeping my driveway clear. It's amazing how
much fun it is transcribing Ezra Pound lectures from audio tape when the
alternative is snow shoveling -- but that's the list's gain.

The new snow stopped falling just after noon today (2/17/03), but there's
still blowing snow. I can drive out to the side street, but they haven't
plowed yet so I'm still effectively snowed in. I can see piles of snow that
would be over my waist if I was standing in them. I stocked up on the
essentials (food, bottled water, medicine, Eliot books), so I should be OK.

>  Is there an Eliot-ic reference to put it on topic?

Well, if anyone says "Winter kept us warm" I might explode just now. Since
I'm feeling sorry for myself having to do all that shoveling, how about:

The notion of some infinitely gentle
Infinitely suffering thing.

NAHH, way too much self-pity.

OK. How about:

     Gull against the wind, in the windy straits
Of Belle Isle, or running on the Horn,
White feathers in the snow, the Gulf claims,
And an old man driven by the Trades
To a sleepy corner.

-- Steve --