Peter Montgomery wrote:

> Copyright in England anyway, started with the
> Playwright's registry to keep work from being
> stolen.

That is about the time the word _plagiarism_ gets recorded in the OED.
I'm assuming that there must have been discussion of the 'thing' for
some time before the word even appeared in writing, and that it first
appeared in writing in private documents that didn't survive. Hence my
suggestion that it begins sometime after 1400. Your point about
copyright is interesting: it is conceivable that the act of copyrighting
came first, and the idea of copying as a moral and/or intellectual 'sin'
appeared only later.

For a couple centuries now "plagiarism" as a 'crime' has been simply
common sense, not the sort of concept that would be subjected to any
sort of analysis. There are debates over "what is plagiarism," but they
almost always occur in the context of "what should we do to punish
plagiarists?" No one challenges the very idea.

I believe Milman Parry first published his findings on oral literature
(which of course is rife with "plagiarism") around 1930, but I haven't
seen many attempts to explore the implications for the present of the
fact that "Homer" was an arrant plagiarist. :-)

Carrol