Peter Montgomery wrote:

> Traditition and The Individual Talent.
> Cheers,
> Peter.

I have trouble in retrieving proper names from memory. (I think proper
names are probably processed in a different part of the brain than other
words -- and four decades of clinical depression has made that part a
bit iffy.) A couple years ago I wanted to refer to Edmund Burke while
writing a post -- and I ended up having to pull an anthology off the
shelf to get the name! I also suspect that abbreviations get processed
in the same way proper names do. Currently I am utterly unable, for
example, to retrive the e-mail abbreviation, iirc. :-)

Incidentally, T&TIT, followed through on ruthlessly, would require that
we no longer penalize or object to plagiarism -- that in fact we
encourage it. I would agree. As far as I can tell plagiarism came into
existence sometime between 1400 and 1600, and didn't become fully
established as a mode of human practice until well into the 18th
century. I would guess that in another 50 to 76 years the very word will
be obsolescent. With everything available in electronic text, people
will quite naturally express themselves in the best words available,
regardless of who wrote them to begin with.

Carrol