Marcia Karp wrote:

> Thanks, Steve, for sending me back to the encyclopedia.  I had stopped
> too soon to see that the early (13th century) fending off of the Germans
> and later Russian/Poland claims didn't prevent a three-year grab by
> Germany in the WWI years.
>
>  Like you, I try to imagine the psychological or social situation that
> would result in someone saying
>
>     "I'm not Russian. I'm from Lithuania. Pure German."

There are German speaking areas in Russia, though I don't know remember
now where they are or how they got there. And I have at least a vague
memory that they do speak an earlier (hence "pure") form of German. It
is quite possible that there has been a German-speaking community in
Lithuania for centuries, though I don't know where to check on that
possibility.

Carrol