2/2/03

  It has been a tradition on this list, when World events dictate, to take a
moment away from our usual discussions of TSE and, instead, note the event.
In keeping with that excellent tradition, let me express my profound sorrow
over yesterday's loss of the seven courageous astronauts, killed in the space
shuttle Columbia disaster.

   When the Challenger exploded 17 years ago, a song writer (John Denver)
conveyed his personal grief in a very moving song. One of the lines I
especially remember was, "They were flying for me". That encapsulates how
I've always felt about the space program, ever since I saw it begin during my
childhood.

   They were flying for all humankind. They will be greatly missed.

-- Steve --