>> Ah, (to use a local expression) dawn rises over Marblehead

> I used to live in Olde Town, Marblehead.  What does the expression mean?
> I've never heard it before.

Someone whose head is as dense as granite finally sees the light.

You missed mentioning one of the sights in Marblehead Kate, the
Lafayette House.  The story I heard was that when the General
revisited America many years after the revolution and was to tour
Marblehead there wasn't going to be enough room for his carriage to
pass between two buildings on a narrow street.  So a corner was cut
out of one house (on the first floor only.)  The house is still there
looking weird.  For a picture and an alternate story visit
    http://www.marbleheadrealestate.com/tour7afunfacts.shtml

Regards,
    Rick Parker

P.S. A friend (and many strangers) lost their boats in Marblehead
harbor in the "no name" storm of 1991 (?)  The only thing left to
salvage was a ton of lead from the keel that was left on a beach.
Years before, he lost another boat in a storm.  He found out about that
when he woke in the morning and saw a picture of it on the front page
of the paper.  It was almost sitting on a road.

Storms like that probably kept the sailor Eliot thinking of death by
water.  A list of sailors lost at sea that sailed from the nearby town
of Gloucester is kept at the "Down to Sea" site at
    http://www.downtosea.org
If you explore a little you can read newspaper articles from the late
1800s describing the storms and the ships and crews they brought down
(in 1873 alone 174 fisherman were lost.)  The book and movie "The
Perfect Storm" tell about another Gloucester boat lost with all hands.