In a message dated 2/26/03 9:28:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I'm not sure 'supersubtle' is a word Eliot used much. To me, it's definitely
> Jamesian.

I think this is why Logan is so reviled -- he creates his own reality and his
own strata of importance.  He is a builder of hierarchy and a definer of
things.  If he defines "supersubtle" as an Eliotic word, it becomes so in a
small way and perhaps he can change Eliot from being a fiddler of language
into someone who glues things together in a haphazard and
"oh-look--aren't-I-so-smart way" like James.
Eliot, and Stevens for that matter, would MUCH rather use a word like
Philopolyprogenative or Concupiscent -- they liked to fool people (e.g.
"deal" is a kind of wood -- always fools on the first few reads), Logan (and
James) enjoy controlling them.
Michael