In a message dated 2/2/2003 11:33:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Someone once said something like 10 deaths are a tragedy, 10,000 deaths
a problem in public sanitation. The first part of this anyhow is
illustrated every time some public figure dies. The second part is
illustrated daily. The nameless remain nameless in death.

Of course it's true that nameless people die every day.  Cancer, floods, famine, foolish accidents, etc.; yet, the tragedy of the Astronauts' fate touch more people than even a movie star's tragic end because they were Astronauts, i.e., intelligent, exciting and extremely brave people who inspire kids and adults.  That they traveled on that far a journey and then died 40 miles over Texas is difficult to accept.  I was working in the garden when I heard the news.  As we are just now recovering from the coldest January certainly in my Florida history, I had no roses to cut; I was simply glad that the my rose bushes had survived several arctic nights in which the temps fell into the 30's.  So, I cut seven wildflowers instead and arranged them in a vase on the table.  And I thought then that the wildflowers were more appropriate anyway, even if the roses had been blooming.

Regards,

Kate