In a message dated 2/2/2003 11:33:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Someone once said something like 10 deaths are a tragedy, 10,000 deaths
> a problem in public sanitation. The first part of this anyhow is
> illustrated every time some public figure dies. The second part is
> illustrated daily. The nameless remain nameless in death.

Of course it's true that nameless people die every day.  Cancer, floods,
famine, foolish accidents, etc.; yet, the tragedy of the Astronauts' fate
touch more people than even a movie star's tragic end because they were
Astronauts, i.e., intelligent, exciting and extremely brave people who
inspire kids and adults.  That they traveled on that far a journey and then
died 40 miles over Texas is difficult to accept.  I was working in the garden
when I heard the news.  As we are just now recovering from the coldest
January certainly in my Florida history, I had no roses to cut; I was simply
glad that the my rose bushes had survived several arctic nights in which the
temps fell into the 30's.  So, I cut seven wildflowers instead and arranged
them in a vase on the table.  And I thought then that the wildflowers were
more appropriate anyway, even if the roses had been blooming.

Regards,

Kate