Dear All,
    I don't have Michelle and Rick P's posts anymore, so I hope I won't
misrepresent them.

    I found Anthony Hecht's essay in _Literary Imagination_ to be an
exemplary one   His subject is Eliot's language and he discusses it
under various aspects.  A note says that the essay was originally given
as a talk at the conference of the Association of Literary Scholars and
Critics; it is a short essay.  Even given the origin and the length, I
don't find the absence of understanding in the essay that Rick finds.  I
wait for the next reader to weigh in.

    I recommend, too, an essay by Archie Burnett in the same issue (5.1)
of _Literary Imagination_.  " 'Sense Variously Drawn Out': The Line in
Paradise Lost" is a very different sort of literary writing than
Hecht's.  Burnett considers how Milton uses the line break as a
technique in PL.  **Eliot is quoted two or three times.**  A great
pleasure and instructive, too.

Marcia