Date sent:              Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:48:12 EST
From:                   Kate Troy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Wallace Stevens; was Mopius Louse)
To:                     [log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask] writes:

> I have to admit I'm astonished that you would tell this story.  You did
> not, by the way, "receive" an A; you took one by cheating--quite a
> different thing. I can only hope the young man's change of behavior had
> something to do with belated shame.

I told the story because it is a true story and one that I consider
amusing. Also, it's a "real" story. You are correct. I did cheat, but as I
withdrew from the course . . .  The young man's change of behavior had to
do him with being hurt because I refused to go out with him.  He had no
qualms whatsoever about giving me the answers.  I shouldn't have cheated,
of course, as I (or rather my parents) were paying lots of good legal
tender for me to receive an education.  But, of course, I didn't think of
it in those terms then.  As it wasn't my major, I managed to justify my
action.  And since I did indeed receive a good education and then improved
on that myself, I feel no guilt, only amusement.