Date sent:              Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:59:56 -0600
From:                   Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Wallace Stevens; was Mopius Louse)
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Nancy Gish wrote:

> In any case, I think SOME lyrics by MacDiarmid and SOME poems by
> Marianne Moore are far more brilliant than SOME poems by Stevens,
> Eliot, et. al.  No one is uniformly just "great."

This is true, but it is also true that a very small number of poets are
never _bad_. Marianne Moore and Alexander Pope are the two that come
mind. I'm less sure about W.C. Williams, but off hand I can't remember any
candidates for _The Stuffed Owl_ written by him. Stevens wrote some
wonderful things -- he also wrote some god-awful things.

Carrol