Yes, we've all read "The Idea of Order at Key West."  And? So?

Date sent:              Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:17:17 EST
From:                   Kate Troy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Wallace Stevens; was Mopius Louse)
To:                     [log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask] writes:

> Unless you can define "great" in some way credible to most readers, and
> then show how Stevens fits it more and better than anyone else (not
> theoretically possible, but never mind), what is the function of
> repeatedly pronouncing his superiority?  Is there any way to make such a
> statement anything but meaningless? Nancy

Ramon, tell her . . . .

Ramon Fernandez, tell me if you know,
Why, when the singing ended and we turned
Toward the town, tell why the glassy lights,
The lights in the fishing boats at anchor there,
As the night descended, tilting in the air,
Mastered the night and portioned out the sea,
Fixing emblazoned zones and fiery poles,
Arranging, deepening, enchanting night.

Oh! Blessed rage for order, pale Ramon,
The maker's rage to order words of the sea,
Words of the fragrant portals, dimly-starred,
And of ourselves and of our origins,
In ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds.

       -From The Idea of Order at Key West, by Wallace Stevens