Date sent:              Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:48:41 EST
From:                   Kate Troy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: In memoriam to space shuttle Columbia
To:                     [log in to unmask]

In a message dated 2/2/2003 11:33:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Someone once said something like 10 deaths are a tragedy, 10,000 deaths
> a problem in public sanitation. The first part of this anyhow is
> illustrated every time some public figure dies. The second part is
> illustrated daily. The nameless remain nameless in death.

Of course it's true that nameless people die every day.  Cancer, floods,
famine, foolish accidents, etc.; yet, the tragedy of the Astronauts' fate
touch more people than even a movie star's tragic end because they were
Astronauts, i.e., intelligent, exciting and extremely brave people who
inspire kids and adults.  That they traveled on that far a journey and
then died 40 miles over Texas is difficult to accept.  I was working in
the garden when I heard the news.  As we are just now recovering from the
coldest January certainly in my Florida history, I had no roses to cut; I
was simply glad that the my rose bushes had survived several arctic nights
in which the temps fell into the 30's.  So, I cut seven wildflowers
instead and arranged them in a vase on the table.  And I thought then that
the wildflowers were more appropriate anyway, even if the roses had been
blooming.

Regards,

Kate