What got called shell shock was defined medically at the time as hysteria.
Nancy

Date sent:              Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:46:11 -0800
From:                   Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Nerves, nerves, nerves (was "Do I dare disturb the universe")
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Do you mean, Steve, conceivably that therewas a resemblance
between Viv's condition that of shell shocked soldiers?
It's a truly fascinating question, that could open a
window of thought one might call culture shell shock
or some such. Today it manifests in anorexia, drug abuse,
&c.

Also, I'm wondering which game of chess is being played out,
Middleton's or Shakespeare's. Eliot got into some key
observations about Middleton's characters (different play to be sure) that
were key to what he was saying about Lawrence's and Pound's
characters. He
was in effect on P.W. Lewis' side about issues relating to executive will
and intelligence.

Cheers,
Peter.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery