I've always liked Hendrix myself, Greg.  I rarely listen to my collection of his stuff because it's on vinyl LPs.  But I can't remember any cut that his guitar actually talked.  Thought that technology was a couple of years after his death.  The first time I heard that thing was when their was an Iron Butterfly reunion album (a couple of years after "Ball") when they were joined by Mike Pindar (from Moody Blues, of all things!) and Pindar's guitar 'talked' (with that tube in his mouth).  Of course the Iron Butterfly reunion flopped, Pindar going back to the Moody Blues.  The *only* other time I remember that anyone used that device was the huge hit LP "Frampton Comes Alive" (Peter Frampton using it on a number of songs).  Did Hendrix do that, and if so, on which song?

Robert

ps: I always thought "Electric Ladyland" was his best LP, love the jams with members of Traffic (Steve Winwood on organ for "Voodoo", Chris Wood on flute for "1983", and Dave Mason on rhythm guitar for Dylan's "Watchtower").

-----Original Message-----
From: D.Gregory Griffith [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 7:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Poet's competition?! With a Tad of Irony

If we're nominating candidates for the "greatest poet of the 20th century,"
I'd like to champion Jimi Hendrix. He wrote some wonderful lyrics; I offer
some examples, from some songs that receive less air play:

Look at the sky turn a hell-fire red.
somebody's house is burning
down, down, down, down.

Well, someone stepped from the crowd,
He was nineteen miles high,
He shouts "We're tired and disgusted,
so we paint red through the sky."
I say "The truth is straight ahead,
so don't burn yourselves instead.
Tryin' to learn instead of burn,
hear what I say."

("House Burning Down"  _Electric Ladyland_)

or how about these:

My arrows are made of desires
from far away as Jupiter sulfur mines.
I say my arrows are made of desires,
desires from far away as Jupiter sulfur mines
(Way down by the methane sea).
I have a humming bird that hums so loud,
you'd think you were losing your mind.
"Cause I'm a Voodoo Chile,
Lord knows I'm A Voodoo Chile.
(Voodoo Chile, _Electric Ladyland_)

In addition to some great lyrics, Hendrix took some wood, six pieces of
steel wire, a few electrical components and made them speak (literally)!
How many poets have made dumb wood talk--only one I know of (may the
muses bless Black Orpheus, the real "Man on the Blue Guitar").

And what came forth from that guitar....truly the "stuff of myth" my friends!

                                                                                    --Greg--