From: INGELBIEN RAPHAEL [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

From: Peter Montgomery
> Perhaps not intellectually, but he did much to popularise
> the emptional preoccupations that concerned Freud, not
> the least of which was Oedipal.

On that basis, one could also argue that Eliot himself did something to
popularise aspects of Freud through lines like:

'The thousand sordid images
Of which your soul was constituted'

'Whispering lunar incantations
Dissolve the floors of memory,
And all its clear relations,
Its divisions and precisions'
Something tells me that that suggestion might raise
the jealous hackles of Uncle Bertie and his positivist
perspectives on human consciousness.

I agree that one could do a Freudian twist with
those extracts but that would require a lot of force
behind the spin. With Lawrence's plots, and characterisation,
the road to Freudenland is pretty straight, even if not
intentional.

Cheers,
Peter

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery