It's a long time since I studied that, Marcia,
but I will look it up. I suspect LIFE IN SHAKESPEARE'S
ENGLAND by (G.B.Harrison?) would be a good place to start.
What happened in Shakespeare's time was the actual
theft of manuscripts, as opposed to copying someone
else's work. It would have been a theft of property,
not something needing a separate law. One did have to
prove prior ownership, and that was done through the
registry. I believe it is a major source for the
dating/ordering of Uncle Willy's (et al.'s -- good old al.)
plays. I believe the registry only applied to titles.
I may be wrong but I believe the use of sides was a partial
attempt at keeping anyone but a few from having access to
the full script.

Copyright will disappear very soon because electronic conditions
are returning us to the world of oral culture under which the
ability to prove any particular sequence of words is virtually
impossible. The massive forms of copyright infringement
happening now are only the beginning. Think of it in terms
of anyone trying to claim ownership of individual words. The
idea is absurd. Just so the words to a tribal ritual or
dance could not be claimed by an individual.

Obviously the forms of language usage under electronic conditions
will be different from those of primitive tribal conditions,
but I expect all the forms of private property which the print
culture of the past 4-500 years made possible, will disappear,
may even become undesireable, for that matter.

McLuhan's GUTENBERG GALAXY would be a place to start on the subject.

Cheers,
Peter

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery
Dept. of English