Greetings,

My primary interest is in the thought of Michael Polanyi, scientist,
epistemologist and social philosopher.  In his analysis of science,
and of social life, Polanyi assigns an important role to tradition.
Analysing science in terms of tradition was path breaking at the time
(the 1940s).  Polanyi knew Eliot from 1944 or thereabouts through a discussion
group - the Moot - that had been formed by a prominent churchman, J. H. Oldham.
Polanyi apears to have begun to use the idea of tradition in his analysis of
science from the early 40s.  I am interested to know whether Eliot's analysis
of tradition may have had an influence on Polanyi's application of tradition to
science and on Polanyi's actual understanding of tradition.  Would any member
of the list be able to shed light on this subject for me.

Regards,

Struan Jacobs
Dr Struan Jacobs
Sociology, Arts