From: Nancy Gish [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 8:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Greek myths and TWL--Plot?

I agree that "lines" is more apt, but I do not see why it is assumed that he
"worked in" anything either.  The degree of intentionality attributed to
constantly changing and apparently endless allusions and complicated
arrangements seems not possible.

It is frequently suggested on this list that biography takes away from
aesthetic appreciation, but I wonder what  is the effect of denying genuine
experience and feeling as a key part of what he was writing during a
deeply disturbed and disturbing part of his life.  The idea of a poem
constructed of thousands of puzzle pieces disconnected from desire or
emotion does not seem more valuable to me.

Perhaps it would be interesting to consider what we mean by the aesthetic.
Nancy