Some of you might remember me reminiscing about the person who really got me
started birding—my high-school biology teacher, Terry Miller. I recently sent
him an e-mail to thank him and to update him on my birding activity,
including COMAL.

Well, it would seem COMAL has spread to Kearney High School. His reply to me:
"I have challenged Mr. Niles [another biology teacher at Kearney HS] with a
competition to see who can see the most species of birds in 2003.  We are
going to post the current numbers on our chalkboards and let our classes be
aware of new birds we each have added and where they can see them.  Also, we
are going to do whatever it takes to take more students out with us.
Including, those who want to participate, an opportunity to compete with each
other.  The bottom line is I will be, and many others, birding more this
year.  I still don't have the time to be super serious, but this should
reinvigorate my birding activity and should be loads of fun while introducing
more opportunities to the students."

I just thought you COMALers would like to know that we'll have a few more
birders joining our ranks this year.

Good birding,

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)