    Today while it was snowing, I noticed a hawk about the size of a large
crow eating a small bird (starling I hope) out on a small woodpile in the
woods behind our house.  His most outstanding feature, besides the efficient
way he was gulping his meal, was his orange and white barred breast.  The
bars looked almost scale like.  His wings and back were dark gray, with a
lighter gray spot on approximately his (or her) secondaries.  The head was
darker with a white patch on the throat and a white area between the beak
and the eye.  Consulting Sibley and Common Birds of North America, I
wondered if it was a Sharp-shinned Hawk.  I confess I haven't followed the
conversations about hawks on the web as living in town I don't see them here
very often.  Common Birds of NA mentions that they are reclusive, but
frequent neighborhoods with birdfeeders which fits the situation, although
it sounds a bit contradictory.
Nancy Mebed - Columbia