Yes, I agree Red-tailed CAN be difficult to ID.  The book I use is: "A
Photographic Guide to North American Raptors, by Wheeler & Clark.   There's
many photos of Red-tailed, taken over the several states of their range,
adults & immatures, and some I would not have ID'd as Red-tailed.

                                                                 Ann, in
cold N. Phelps Co.