Area birded:  Saint Joseph area oxbows.

Last night Saint Joseph received its first snow fall of the season.  Probably no more than two inches fell.  I went out birding this morning hoping the snow covering would bring the Lapland Longspurs to the roads.  It brought in some of the Horned Larks but most were still staying out in the harvested and disked fields.  I was able to locate only one Lapland Longspur in with the 100+ Horned Larks.
    Other birds of interest included five Bald Eagles, one male Northern Harrier, a Merlin, a female Ring-necked Pheasant and two Killdeer hanging on at the edge of the Missouri River.  Only two Snow Geese were spotted in a flotilla of Canada Geese on Mud Lake.  I estimated about 40 Brown-headed Cowbirds in with the flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles and European Starlings.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph
Buchanan County