  From: Randy Schuppan
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 11:56 AM
  Subject: Re: Question about shooting Birds

  Speaking of shooting Starlings, my feeder has been bombarded by them lately, driving away the desirable birds. My cylindrical feeder is surrounded by a cylinder of coated wire mesh, where birds grasp the mesh and reach through to the seed openings. I feed a two-sunflowers, safflower, millet mix from Wild Birds Unlimited, layered with peanuts. It attracts Cardinal, Titmouse, Chickadee, Nuthatch, Flicker, House Finch, Downy Woodpecker, and Red-bellied Woodpecker, with Juncos cleaning up the scraps. I keep a thistle feeder loaded to the top, and often all six perches are occupied by belly-to-the-bar Goldfinches. What can I do to discourage Starlings? I don't want to shoot them. Well, it's not that I don't want to. It's that my neighbors' houses are in the line of fire. I find myself mumbling "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie" over and over. Do I need help?

  Another issue. My friend in Wildwood (West St Louis County) described a bird coming for the first time to the feeder (sunflower, safflower and millet mix but no peanuts). It was Cardinal-sized, white line over the eye, unstreaked breast, inch-long yellow beak, spotted down the back, medium brownish, end of average-length tail is "like it was cut with pinking shears" (yep, my caller's a she, and really pretty too). The bird had appeared while we on the phone, and five more arrived as we discussed description. I wondered Starling, but she said, "No, they're black." Her feeder is the same as mine, and these birds comfortably walked, rather than released and grabbed, the mesh in moving from opening to opening. I said that they seemed to have feet suited for sides of a tree trunk, but she said they didn't seem to be like woodpeckers. I struck out.

  Randy Schuppan
  O'Fallon MO
  St. Charles County