Besides Peterson, Golden, Audubon, Sibley, Jacobs, Dunn, Stokes, Forbush and many others,  I picked up a book at one of the mall book stores that I really like.  It is "Birds of North America, the complete guide to more than 930 species in association with the Smithsonian Institution"
by Fred J. Alsop.  The art is very good and each bird has a page of its own.
Across the top is family, species, length, wingspan
Other information on each bird includes a good habitat description, song description, behavior, breeding, nesting, similar birds, flight pattern, nest ID, color coded map, food, and other info on plumage differences, migration and weight.
In most cases however, it only pictures the male bird.
Speaking of weight, the book weighs several pounds.  I  think it cost about $20 and it's certainly well worth it.