Hello,

Today at the barbershop, I was talking with the barber about my birding trip this weekend to the Soo area.  Since he learned I was a birdwatcher, he told me about a neighbor that had a huge hummingbird feeder where sometimes fifty birds would gather.  As most of us know, often a bird will dominate a feeder regardless of the number of ports available.  The barber told me the way his neighbor resolved this was when he saw a hummingbird running the others off, he shoots it.  I could ramble on with my personal feelings regarding that practice, however my question though is that legal?

By the way, although I did not find my target birds, it was great seeing some of the winter birds in the Soo area.  We all should appreciate the Snowy we have enjoyed so much without snow on the ground.  We had three on this trip.  With snow all over, the first one found would never have been found on the edge of a barn if it did not move its tail.  Beautiful snow white bird that blended in perfectly with the snow.  The highlight for me was a Northern Hawk Owl at close range.  The highlight for the rest of the birders, a Carolina Wren as it was a second or third county record.  The Michigan birders loved it.

Thanks,
Steve Griffaw