  From: Paul Fleischut
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 8:21 AM
  Subject: Re: Help - HAWKS

  I too am in the market for the best book on identifying hawks.  My
  internet search reveals the following candidates:

  1. HOW TO SPOT HAWKS AND EAGLES
  2. FIELD GUIDE TO HAWKS IN NORTH AMERICA
  3. NORTH AMERICAN BIRDS OF PREY

  Any offline recommendations?

  On I-55 between Blytheville, Arkansas  and Jackson, MO there is a hawk
  about every half mile on a fence post or in a tree.  They are highly
  variable.  In flight there is typically a dark band around the entire
  underside perimeter of otherwise white underwings.  Occasional hovering
  type activity.  Many with an almost all pale belly. Others with a rufous
  band across at the "navel" region.  Still others with subtantial rufous
  from the breast down.  Difficult to see the tail at 70 miles an hour, as
  they are usually facing the highway.  I'm non-confidently identifying
  them all as Red Tails. Am I all Whet?

  Thanks
  Paul Fleischut

  Does anyone else have trouble identifying Red-tailed Hawks?  Now be
  honest. I know I have spent more time trying to ID that bird than any
  other o f our more common birds.  I just know it has added to my high
  blood pressure.  When I see the belly-band or the V on the back I
  breathe a sigh of relief. After that--well for instance--Yesterday
  afternoon at Thomas Hill on that gravel road (Golden?)that leads to
  Gaslight Lane that goes to the parking lot (lots of ducks geese there
  but very few gulls) I had a brief look at a really spectacular bird.
  Lots of white with a not rufous but a pinkish tail.  White on the back,
  white on the head but some dark streaks.  Of course it flew before I
  could scope it. Were we seeing an albino or a Kriders?  Of course Donald
  spotted it first and we spent time trying to relocate it.  I assume with
  the colored tail it had to be a red-tailed.  Or maybe not.  Wish someone
  would go there, relocate that bird and put me out of my misery.  I found
  a Harlans last fall--very dark but white streaks on breast.But --then
  with all the immature phases I really think that bird is Difficult.  I
  usually look at the overall shape and go with that but I would really
  like to get beyond that.Does anyone know of a really good book? I have
  the Ken Kaufmans. and Clark/Wheeler.  A work-shop on "Hawks beyond the
  white V and belly-band" would be really terrific.

  Will check for the Snowy this afternoon.We still  have lots of snow on
  the ground but 10 miles south it is all clear.  The usual for NE Mo.

  Anne Downing

  Knox County
  Confidentiality Warning:  This e-mail contains information intended only
  for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
  e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible
  for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication
  or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  Under an informal ruling
  by the Office of the Chief Disciplinary Counsel for the Supreme Court of
  Missouri, communication by e-mail is deemed not necessarily secure and
  confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
  notify us by return e-mail and call (314) 231-5400.  Thank you.