    As I left to bird the oxbows south of St. Joseph this morning it was -2 degrees. (It did warm up around noon to 9 degrees!)  A Merlin was spotted in the vicinity of Mud Lake and I saw  two Great-tailed Grackles in one of the cattle pens of a barn yard near Muskrat Lake.  Other than that the birds were rather few and far between.  I only tallied 26 species.

    No Snowy Owls to report from our area!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph
Buchanan County