From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Lynn miller
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 9:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Possible Northern Goshawk, Marion County, Missouri

OK, I just erased my post, so here we go again.I'll
give it a try Patrick, since my license plate says
GOSHWK.

  Most accipitor's exhibit a longer tail than other
raptors, and a broader than long wing pattern.  I
believe this is an adaptation for dwelling in a
woodland area, and maneuvering(sp) within the forest.

You did not mention the broader than long wing
pattern, but this would rule out Peregrine, and other Falconidae.

Remember that Bob Fisher mentioned that this might be
an eruption year, and I had an immature Gos on CMSU
campus, SIGNIFICANTLY south of you.

Ever since I was chased by a large female in the
Bighorn mtns of Wyoming, the Goshawk has been my
favorite bird.  Thanks again for the posting.

Lynn Miller
Jackson CO
Lone Jack,MO

http://mailplus.yahoo.com