on 1/15/03 10:13 PM, Brent Thoma at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Greetings,
> I have a couple of quick questions regarding Columbia area birding. Thanks
> for your help in advance.
> Does anybody know of anyplace near Columbia where one may be able to find
> Short-eared Owls regularly? I believe that I remember reading back in 2001
> about someplace nearby that they were being seen regularly.
> In addition, has anybody spent much time birding the USFWS lands near
> Overton, I believe it is called the Big Muddy Refuge.  It seems like there
> is a large amount of land, and I was curious if anybody has birded much
> there?
> Again, thanks for all your help.
>
> Brent Thoma
> Columbia, MO

I think the site from 2001 that you referred to was about 4-5 miles north of
I-70 in west Callaway Co. It was a large pasture that was enrolled in the
USDA cropland reserve program ( CRP ) The following year that agreement
expired and the land was placed back in row crops. The birds are probably
not there although I've not checked.
The only placed I'd recommend would be the MU Bradford Farm which is
historically good for short-ears.

Jim [log in to unmask]