Anne, Cornell rents slides of hawks.  They may be helpful for a group
discussion of field marks at your local bird meetings.  They have great
slides and it is a lot of fun to identify them.
Tommie Rogers

Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 7:59 AM
Subject: Help

> Does anyone else have trouble identifying Red-tailed Hawks?  Now be
honest. I know I have spent more time trying to ID that bird than any other
o f our more common birds.  I just know it has added to my high blood
pressure.  When I see the belly-band or the V on the back I breathe a sigh
of relief. After that--well for instance--Yesterday afternoon at Thomas Hill
on that gravel road (Golden?)that leads to Gaslight Lane that goes to the
parking lot (lots of ducks geese there but very few gulls) I had a brief
look at a really spectacular bird.  Lots of white with a not rufous but a
pinkish tail.  White on the back, white on the head but some dark streaks.
Of course it flew before I could scope it. Were we seeing an albino or a
Kriders?  Of course Donald spotted it first and we spent time trying to
relocate it.  I assume with the colored tail it had to be a red-tailed.  Or
maybe not.  Wish someone would go there, relocate that bird and put me out
of my misery.  I found a Harlans last fall--very dark but white streaks on
breast.But --then with all the immature phases I really think that bird is
Difficult.  I usually look at the overall shape and go with that but I would
really like to get beyond that.Does anyone know of a really good book? I
have the Ken Kaufmans. and Clark/Wheeler.  A work-shop on "Hawks beyond the
white V and belly-band" would be really terrific.

> Will check for the Snowy this afternoon.We still  have lots of snow on the
ground but 10 miles south it is all clear.  The usual for NE Mo.