From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Anne Downing
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 7:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Help

Does anyone else have trouble identifying Red-tailed Hawks?  Now be honest.
I know I have spent more time trying to ID that bird than any other o f our
more common birds.  I just know it has added to my high blood pressure.
When I see the belly-band or the V on the back I breathe a sigh of relief.
After that--well for instance--Yesterday afternoon at Thomas Hill on that
gravel road (Golden?)that leads to Gaslight Lane that goes to the parking
lot (lots of ducks geese there but very few gulls) I had a brief look at a
really spectacular bird.  Lots of white with a not rufous but a pinkish
tail.  White on the back, white on the head but some dark streaks.  Of
course it flew before I could scope it. Were we seeing an albino or a
Kriders?  Of course Donald spotted it first and we spent time trying to
relocate it.  I assume with the colored tail it had to be a red-tailed.  Or
maybe not.  Wish someone would go there, relocate that bird and put me out
of my misery.  I found a Harlans last fall--very dark but white streaks on
breast.But --then with all the immature phases I really think that bird is
Difficult.  I usually look at the overall shape and go with that but I would
really like to get beyond that.Does anyone know of a really good book? I
have the Ken Kaufmans. and Clark/Wheeler.  A work-shop on "Hawks beyond the
white V and belly-band" would be really terrific.

Will check for the Snowy this afternoon.We still  have lots of snow on the
ground but 10 miles south it is all clear.  The usual for NE Mo.

Anne Downing